What is a STAR NET Fellowship?
To promote family education and professional development for individuals in Northwest and Central Illinois, STAR NET Region I & III (part of a grant funded through the Illinois State Board of Education) offers fellowships.
A fellowship is a monetary award that reimburses eligible family members (up to $125 each) and early childhood professionals (up to $100 each) for certain expenses associated with attendance at an Illinois training event. Individuals may apply for a maximum of two fellowships per grant year (from July 1st to the following June 30th). Awards are based on available funds and approved at the discretion of the STAR NET staff.
Family members and early childhood professionals in STAR NET Regions I & III (see map at www.starnet.org) who meet the following eligibility requirements may apply for reimbursement with STAR NET Regions I & III:
• Family member of a child two through six years of age receiving early intervention or early childhood
special education services.
• Professionals who work for an early childhood special education program/provide special education services
to children ages three to five with IEPs (Individualized Education Programs).
Those in Regions II, IV, V, or VI, must apply with the appropriate office (contact information at www.starnet.org).
What expenses qualify for reimbursement?
The following expenses related to family education or professional development in Illinois qualify:
• workshop/conference registration fees
• mileage costs
• lodging expenses
• child care costs for parents (receipt necessary—child care provider cannot be the spouse of the applicant)
• substitute teacher expenses up to $100
Meals are not reimbursable. Funds available for in-state events only. Minimum application $25.
How do I apply? What action will be required, if approved?
1) At least ONE MONTH before the event, mail or fax a fellowship application or fill out the online form here. PRE-APPROVAL IS REQUIRED.
2) If approved, a fellowship contract and reimbursement form will be sent by email with instructions. Applicant is responsible for registering for the event and for making all arrangements for attendance. For fellowship applications we are unable to approve, the applicant will be notified by email as to the reason for denial.
3) No later than two weeks before the event, the completed/signed fellowship contract needs to be received by STAR NET. The contract can be scanned/emailed, faxed, or mailed (but it will not be accepted as a photograph).
4) During the event, applicant must complete the reimbursement form and keep appropriate receipts.
5) Within 10 days after the event, applicant must return the reimbursement form with original receipts and complete the online evaluation to receive reimbursement.
Click here to fill out the form.
Another funding source is The Arc of Illinois. Consumer Stipends are available for family members of a child (any age) with an intellectual/developmental disability. Check the website for specific details and application forms at:
If you have any questions, please call (815) 464-1832.